Should you skip getting a pre-purchase building inspection to save money?
The truth is, skipping a pre-purchase building inspection can be more expensive in the long term.
Many property buyers can tell you cautionary tales about the dangers of opting out of a pre-purchase inspection to save money. Sadly, they all ended up spending more money than what the property was worth.
If you follow in their footsteps, instead of enjoying your new property you might face the frustration of managing costly repairs and health hazards.
The real savings of a pre-purchase building inspection
When you invest in a property, it’s natural to be concerned about the costs because you are spending your hard earned money! However, getting a pre-purchase building inspection is about saving more important things than money.
Pre-purchase inspections can save your health
- If the property you are planning to buy was built before 1990, there is a big chance of the presence of asbestos which can expose you to the risk of lung cancer and other related illnesses.
- A pre-purchase inspection can help detect the presence of pests and mould which can trigger allergies and potentially cause life-threatening diseases.
Pre-purchase inspections can save your life
- The building inspector will check your property for any structural issues like unsound railings or shaky foundations that can cause accidents.
- The building inspector can also check for any illegal structures or extensions that can threaten the safety of the occupants.
- Fire safety is of utmost importance, so checking the electrical wiring can help prevent fires by making sure they meet the standards.
Pre-purchase inspections can save you time
A pre-purchase inspection can help you set your expectations about whether the property will need more repairs or maintenance before you or your family members or tenants can move in.
It would be frustrating to spend all your time preparing to move into the property only to find out that more work needs to be done.
Look before you leap
In the end, properties come and go, but your biggest life investment is yourself and the people you love. Getting a pre-purchase building inspection is not only about saving money. It is also about ensuring you and your family’s safety and well-being because these things are irreplaceable.
It is also about ensuring you and your family’s safety and well-being because these things are irreplaceable.